Rural Initiatives & Development
SEVA works toward enriching the lives of the marginalized communities of India. It enhances livelihood opportunities and provides relevant information to help reduce risks for rural communities.
By deploying locally-relevant solutions, it also enhances rural livelihoods in agriculture, and other farm and non-farm based activities. SEVA makes systematic efforts to improve the quality and productivity of rural assets, leading to increased and more reliable yields. This ensures increased incomes and better capacities among the targeted marginalized communities.
Small and marginal farmers, livestock owners need right information at the right time from the right source for right decision making in order to move up the value chain for higher income generation.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS
Users increasingly want tailor-made, quality answers to their questions. With this objective in view, SEVA has partnered development of customised rural technology solutions like FIDM, VIIS and REATS, among others, to support rural livelihoods.
SEVA Information Services (SIS), the ICT division of SEVA, provides validated information services to different livelihood information seekers using modern Information and Communication Technologies (ICT). SIS develops solutions based on field-based skill, partnering rural people for risk reduction by loss aversion, potential additional income per individual and replenishment of natural resources.
The SEVA Model attempts to address livelihood generation in the following manner:
- It focuses on trying to provide Livelihoods through its own Centres, Partnership Centres and Innovative Formats
- Creating opportunities in the organised sector by providing placement through Placement Assistance and setting up a Rural Employment Exchange to aggregate job opportunities in the unorganized sector
- Providing training for sustainability through farm based occupations through traditional occupations, available resources and Self-Help Groups (SHGs).
- Developing Pilot Projects and extending successful initiatives this initiative to other areas.
SEVA’s rural initiatives primarily focus on:
- Rural Development and Capacity Building
- Skill Development
- Small and Marginal Farmers
- Village Industries
- Indigent Artisans
- Production & Manufacturing activities
- SHGs, Federations
- Micro-credit and Micro-enterprises
- Poverty Alleviation