SEVA was established as a public welfare trust to provide non-profit voluntary services for general welfare of the people. SEVA was formed to work with grassroots initiatives for effecting positive changes in the lives of underprivileged people and communities. SEVA functions as an Intermediary Development Organisation basically focusing on Networking, Coordinating, Advocacy, developing Strategies, helping scaling-up of grassroots organisations. SEVA works with governments, civil society organisations and businesses, as well as individuals and collectives. SEVA provides support to grassroots NGOs and SHGs to help develop qualitative services and interventions, and also strives to proactively involve members of the civil society in the development process to bring about sustainable change.
SEVA aims to alleviate poverty and trigger social inclusion by facilitating empowerment of people from poor and marginalised communities and seeks to establish a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where people live with dignity and security. SEVA aims to contribute to building an inclusive India to enhance the quality of life of people from marginalised and vulnerable communities, by empowering them and catalysing change through innovative and sustainable solutions.
SEVA offers knowledge-based solutions, laying significant emphasis on leveraging cutting edge technology for developmental solutions, and on the skills, domain knowledge and experience of the people carrying out the activity. To maximise its reach and improve outcomes, SEVA plans to basically focus on capacity building and scaling-up of grassroots NGOs by acting as facilitator & catalyst and help in optimisation of service delivery through technological and sustainable solutions for improved systems and effective/efficient management of services through an integrated approach, maximising societal value.
Presently, SEVA is offering its services to other grassroots organisations across West Bengal, but plans to offer pan-India services in due course.
SEVA will also act as Cluster Coordinator and encourage/assist partner NGOs to assume a co-leadership role and help in the establishment of clusters at different levels. SEVA will conduct social networks analysis for proper understanding of the functions of various NGOs/SHGs for potential partnership and capacity building needs among the stakeholders for optimisation of service delivery. Ultimately, SEVA aims to build an inter-state and cross border cluster management system, with support from the States, that will include policy reformulation (changing laws and practices), capacity building of service providers and build systems for improved management of services.
SEVA provides support to help grassroots NGO partners in:
• Strategic Planning, Financial resources raising & coordination with Sponsors, Technical Support, Project planning & implementation, Monitoring & reporting processes, Program integration, provide support to develop and implement monitoring/evaluation tools and measurements of program/ project effectiveness to track the delivery of joint outcomes
• Ensuring resources are used in an efficient way and follow financial guidelines
• Ensuring active feedback, reflection and learning
• Enhancing effectiveness by maximising complementarities of different stakeholders through principles of partnership, equality, transparency, a results-oriented approach, responsibility and complementarities
• Coaching & training for social workers and their supervisor in the grassroots organisation
• Organising conferences, hearings, workshops, etc.
• Building stakeholder support through a social communication programme
• Developing monitoring & evaluation tools/instruments to measure effectiveness of their programme, manage information and data effectively to report to stakeholders (policy makers and duty bearers), and diagnose deficiencies in the system. Trainings are offered to programme managers for their orientation and how to manage the programme
• Use an online information management system to collate data to help track implementation, measure efficiency, output and outcome of services